Thug who slashed homeless man's face for not being local jailed
Thug jailed for slashing homeless man's face

A thug who slashed a homeless man's face after discovering he was not from the local area has been sentenced to prison. Adam Plant, aged 25, carried out the violent assault in August 2023 in Burton-upon-Trent, Staffordshire.

Details of the Attack

Prosecutors revealed that the victim was approached by a group of males dressed in black and wearing balaclavas. After a brief interaction where the group confirmed the victim was not from the local area, one of them slashed him on the left side of his face. The victim, who was spending his first night at the Three Queens Hotel, was left with a 15-centimeter facial wound.

Police were called to the scene by a member of the public who found the man with his face slashed open, Stafford Crown Court heard. Officers then approached a group of males near the town's train station and noticed one of them had blood on their hand, said Crown prosecutor Salek Ahmed.

Wide Pickt banner — collaborative shopping lists app for Telegram, phone mockup with grocery list

Arrest and Evidence

Plant attempted to flee but was detained by officers, who discovered a knife and sheath. A silver knuckle duster and a serrated knife were also found in a rucksack he had been carrying. He later admitted to causing grievous bodily harm with intent, possession of an offensive weapon in a public area, and two counts of possession of a knife.

Victim Impact

A victim impact statement read in court revealed the ongoing trauma. The victim said he is constantly reminded of the attack due to the scar on his face. 'Everywhere I go, people ask, 'What happened?' It makes me feel down. Now, when I walk down the street, people avoid me. Families even cross the street,' he said.

Sentencing

Plant, of no fixed address, was sentenced at Stafford Crown Court on Thursday, May 14, to a total of five years in prison. The judge handed him five years for Section 18 wounding and nine-month sentences for each of the three weapon offenses, to run concurrently. However, the sentence was ordered to run consecutively to an existing term he was serving for a separate Section 18 offense from February 2025, bringing his total jail time to seven years. Additionally, Plant was given a five-year restraining order against his victim and ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £228.

Police Statement

Speaking after sentencing, Superintendent Victoria Downing said: 'This was a horrific attack on the victim who suffered significant injuries in the assault. I am pleased Plant has been handed a custodial sentence for his offending and hope that this shows how we are determined to pursue individuals committing violence to protect our communities from harm.'

Pickt after-article banner — collaborative shopping lists app with family illustration